Dual Intent Visa


When applying for a visa to visit or work in the US, the immigration authorities are going to look very closely at your reasons for visiting or working.  More importantly, they will want to know whether members of your family already reside in the US.  The service looks at these areas because they reveal what your real reason is for visiting.

Different visas have restrictions on what you can do while using them.  For example, a B visa is intended for tourist-type activity and strictly prohibits working for payment in the U.S.

Non-immigrant visas, such as a B visa, are for individuals with permanent residence outside the U.S.  who wish to be in the U.S. on a temporary basis – for tourism, medical treatment, business, temporary work or study.

On the other hand, an H visa is a “dual intent” visa.   Dual intent means you plan to visit and work and at the same time may stay for the longer term and apply for a green card.

Applying for an H1B and a green card at the same time is possible in this instance.

However, applying for a B visa and a green card at the same time is not.

When applying for either a visa or green card (which includes the authorization to work in a virtually unrestricted way) you must match your current visa intent with your future plans.

Your “intent” is a major factor the government looks at when approving your application to stay and work in the U.S.  If your intent doesn’t match, our application will be denied.